88th Bomber Squadron

WW2OL Bomber Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Player Bandwidth

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Player Bandwidth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 pm

So when I got into that DayZ Private hive server I had no idea how I got access to it, but the admin of the server messaged me today on reddit and invited me to their private subreddit. I decided to ask about the player bandwidth because they are all apparently pre-alpha testers and the games creators.

Me wrote:A group I run with has noticed that if you check your players list and compare bandwidth of yourself and whomever you are running with at the time they are usually pretty close. We branched off of that and noticed that if a players bandwidth was on the rise and getting into our numbers, they would likely cross our path or our immediate area. We have only tried this a handful of times and it worked 4 out of 5 times.

Is there any merit to this or do you just think it was a coincidence?

Tester wrote:There is merit to it but it is definitely not infallible. Essentially similar bandwidth means you've each got the same items in your network bubbles. Items in your inventories and items in the environment near you. I have seen near identical bandwidths with people I know are on the other side of the map, and I have seen discrepancies in the hundreds with friends right next to me who were desyncing. Another sign is if two people both get desync around the same time, they are likely near each other.

This also confirms my suspicion that when you desync, a new player has entered your network bubble.

View user profile

2 Re: Player Bandwidth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:26 pm

that's awesome dude. good to know. nice to get some confirmation some of the things we talk about.

cool
bota11

View user profile

3 Re: Player Bandwidth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Awesome very cool man

View user profile

4 Re: Player Bandwidth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Another guy also commented and elaborated a little more.

Another Tester wrote:My crew have noticed this as well.

We started noticing that when we went to meet up we would always red chain at similar times. It became apparent that those with higher settings would desynch first by a small margin and after testing it related most to object detail. We also have an ingrained habit from our days playing the mod to pull the nearest pine or safe zone when a red chain appears due to the multitude of desynch related deaths we had received in the mod. Because of this habit we have been able to observe that most red chains that affect the entire party are due to another player entering area and that the amount of gear/number of players will affect the length and severity of the desynch.

The red chain will occur at 1km for me with all settings maxed and around 800m for one squad mate running on high settings and closer to 700m for our third member who runs just below the second in some settings. The other two members of my squad share a network connection so differences between them based on settings were a clean test of the correlation between in game settings and distances at which desynch would occur.

Sadly knowing this information it is possible using a three man squad to triangulate incoming players and prepare for the direction of approach. Now, this being said the new guaranteed messaging system has lowered the levels of desynch significantly and it is no longer guaranteed that a chain will occur when another player enters area (and yellow chains are becoming more prevalent than the red chains).

I've been keeping this off of the main reddit because it isn't something we want to be spreading around to everyone especially when it is so easily exploitable.

I've just been gathering data and holding my report until the optimizations start rolling out as it is likely that optimizing some of the systems will lower these desynch issues significantly.

BAM

Just the info I was looking for. If we are all in an area, the person who starts desyncing first, is likely the closest to our target. We all just have to keep an eye out for red and yellow chains. As soon as someone sees one they would call it out, and then we triangulate from there. This could be used against those ROT girls.

View user profile

5 Re: Player Bandwidth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:19 pm

I have a feeling the big squads know about this

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum